Thursday, March 22, 2018

WWE and a Group Break


A few weeks ago, I went to a local WWE house show here in Lubbock with a classmate and her husband. House shows are events that occur during the week and are "dark" - that is, they aren't broadcast on television. I've never been to a WWE event, though I have watched plenty of wrestling. Who cares if it's fake? The performers are all incredibly athletic and the show they put on was great. 

My favorite part of the event, however, was watching the seven-year-old boy in front of me with his dad. It was clear that they watched WWE regularly together. I found out it was the boy's first live event and he was hoping to see his favorite wrestler, Randy Orton, that night. When the next-to-last match was set to begin, Orton's music hit and the kid went crazy! He brought a sign that he made and held it high, jumping up and down and screaming Orton's name. The dad watched with a huge smile on his face, clearly enjoying watching his son enjoy the moment so much. The match lasted about 10 minutes, and when it was over, I heard the kid say to his dad, "That was the coolest thing I have ever seen!" The little guy literally had tears in his eyes. 

Maybe this world doesn't suck all that bad, after all. 

When I got home, I jumped on YouTube to watch the video recap of a case break I was in. A couple of months ago, I mentioned that I participated in a break with Hawks Breaks, and that is who was running this one also. If you are interested, I suggest joining his Facebook group, as he often posts his breaks there first and then puts the leftovers on Facebook. Pricing is about the best that I have found, so joining is a great idea.

Anyway, back to the break. The case featured eight boxes of 2017 Bowman's Best for a total of 32 autographs. This particular break was a team break, so I purchased the Rangers. My spot pulled two autographs. First:


A Christopher Seise base auto. Seise is the #9 prospect in the Rangers organization after spending his first "year" in at Low-A Spokane. He was drafted 29th overall in the 2017 MLB draft, where he was considered one of the best shortstops available (though that particular draft was a bit thin at that position). 

My second auto was familiar, yet different:


Seise again, but this time was the gold refractor version. This card is numbered to 50!

The best part was that I got both of these cards for a team spot that I paid all of $10 for!

Well, that's it for this post. I have more scans in the folder that need to get published, so keep an eye out for new content coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Wrestling isn't fake. It's predetermined. They are hard working athletes who bust their ass for our entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of Seise before (but that's not surprising since I don't follow prospects), but that gold refractor is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome when kids get excited like that. When my kids get excited about something, I've been making it a conscious effort to watch them enjoy it instead of whipping out my phone and trying to video it.

    ReplyDelete