Tuesday, April 16, 2019

A White Whale Comes Home

There's always a method to the madness. A couple days ago, I posted about having some cards in my Watch List for a long time. The reason I noticed that is because I went to that list to remove a card that I watched for more than three years.

Another copy showed up on eBay and I was able to grab it for about half the price of the first copy.

I was pretty excited about getting this card in. It is one that I've always wanted, and it may be a favorite in my collection.


From 2012 Topps Update, this is the gold parallel of Matt Harrison's All-Star Stitches card. Yes, it's just a relic card, but it may be the most beautiful relic I've ever seen. The gold shimmer really makes the card stand out. Furthermore, it is representative of the only year Harrison made it to the All-Star Game. 


Even the back of the card is attractive. The framing and color scheme really work here. I'm a big fan, and I couldn't be more excited to have this card in my collection.

I went back to look at the first copy a couple of days later and noticed that it was gone. That afternoon, I received a package from COMC. I was intrigued, as I haven't ordered anything from there in a while. I opened it up and found the copy of the card that I watched for more than three years (it was on eBay through the COMC auction service). A friend purchased it and sent it my way as a nod to my late grandmother, who passed away just over a year ago. She was the one that got me into collecting. I miss her very much.

So, here's the story, in short: I watch a card for more than three years, then purchase a cheaper copy that appears. A couple days after receiving the card, I also receive the first copy as a gift. The world is a pretty incredible place.

What is the longest you've watched a card before pulling the trigger?

5 comments:

  1. Matt is a B-Day binder guy of mine. Nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your whale runneth over. How cool is that? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what's the longest I've watched a card before pulling the trigger, but I just picked one up that was in my watch list for about 6 months.
    Also, that's a pretty cool story about picking up two copies, albeit unexpectedly, within such a short time span.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They weren't necessarily on my eBay watch list... but I waited decades to pick up my Gwynn minor league and Puckett 84FU cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Send me an email I have 2 Michael Young bobbles would be able to trade one. addy is soskinfamily at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete