Monday, November 11, 2013

I Don't Know What To Title This Post

And that's the truth.

Normally, I try to think of something witty or funny or reference a little-known movie or show. But today isn't the day for that.

In case you didn't know, today is the eleventh day of the eleventh month - Veteran's Day. All my life, this has been one of the most important days of the year in my household. My grandfather served in World War II as one of Darby's Rangers, the first of the Army Rangers. He was wounded multiple times - he would live out the remainder of his life with grade shrapnel in his leg and back - but never complained. He also saw time in Korea, again suffering wounds in battle. He passed away before I was born, but I've heard stories about him my entire life. My father was in the US Navy, serving in the Persian Gulf conflict. His best friend in the Navy was killed in the mid-80's after an Iraqi jet "accidentally" bombed the USS Stark.

I am also fortunate enough to share a birthday with the United States Marine Corps, November 10. My cousin, who is like a brother to me, served two tours in Iraq and was later a com operator on Marine One, the president's helicopter, serving under President George W. Bush and Barak Obama. He has told me stories of battle, and let me say that we are fortunate to have men and women volunteering to face and confront evil across the world so that you and I don't have to.

Take a moment to visit the links below. All of the pages I'm posting are organizations that help our servicemen and women, whether it be a Christmas card for the holiday or providing services for our wounded when they return home. If you know of any other services, please post the link in the comments below and I will edit this post to include it, too.

USO

American Red Corss Holiday Mail For Heroes

Operation Christmas Cards

The Wounded Warrior Project

The Boot Campaign

The Lone Survivor Foundation

Also, I am going to do a break for 2013 Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects, which releases this Wednesday. $25 will get you a team of your choice and a random team for two boxes. Yes, this is more than I would normally charge, but all proceeds are going directly to charity. I know not everyone is a fan of Bowman products, but this is a good way to give back and receive some cards.

All proceeds from this break will be donated to an organization to be determined that provides services to our men and women in uniform (I'm waiting to hear back from my cousin in regards to which charity he has had the most experience with - I want to make sure to donate to a group that will use the money wisely and efficiently). More details to come later today.


No comments:

Post a Comment