Monday, July 14, 2014

Crazy Stats That Can't Possibly Be Real

I mentioned in a (brief) post last month that my PC guy, Joey Gallo, had as many homers as he did singles at that point in his professional career (89 of each). I thought that was nuts.

But then I went back earlier to look at the box score of the Rangers 30-3 drubbing of the Orioles int he first game of a double header back in 2007. Something really shocked me.

Wes Littleton recorded his second career save in that game.

Let me repeat that in a different way: there was a save in a game in which the margin of victory was 27 runs.

Talk about adding insult to injury. That just hurts.

Thanks to the back-loaded scoring and time of Littleton's entry into the game (he came in in a save situation), a save was registered in a game where the winners scored 27 more runs than their opponents.

What is your favorite crazy stat?

2 comments:

  1. Cy Young started 815 games. Of those 815 games 749 of them were complete games. That is 92% of the games he pitched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck Finley struck out 4 batters in an inning 3 times in his career. Nobody else has ever done it even twice.

    ReplyDelete