Monday, July 24, 2017

It Wasn't Meant To Be

A couple weeks ago, I posted about a "collection centerpiece" that I was fortunate enough to work out a deal for. My LCS owner was kind enough to let me make payments on it and I was going to do just that.

But, as it seems it frequently does, life laughed at my plan and said, "Nah, man. You aren't gonna do that."

Since making the deal, I've had a $3,000 expense pop up and then someone hit my truck in my apartment parking lot, busting out the tail light and messing up the rear bumper. Needless to say, I don't foresee being able to make payments on the item any time soon, so I am going to have to let it pass.

What was the item?

Well, it's in this video:


Okay, that probably doesn't help. Any guesses?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Okay, it's in this frame:


Okay, I'll stop being a jerk.


The game-used first base innings 1 - 3 from the 2010 ALCS between the Rangers and Yanks was the piece I thought I was going to get. The Rangers lost the game, but this base saw all of the offensive action and the Rangers went on to win the series and advance to the World Series for the first time.



Ahhhhh....I'm getting sad just typing this. It almost makes me sick to my stomach. If 35 of my followers want to pitch in $10 a piece, I can get it! Hahahahaha Welcome to My Cardboard Habit's Inaugural Kickstarter campaign! I'm kidding, of course.

What's the biggest piece you initially thought you were getting for your collection only to have life kick you in the junk and take it away from you?

5 comments:

  1. Man, I hate when life kicks you in the junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh man, that stinks. Would have been cool to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it meant helping someone get something that's that unique, and that they wanted that bad, I would be willing to donate $10 to the cause (seriously). Think about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saved for over a year for my Frank Thomas NNOF and then the price went up.. I got lucky I found a raw one and was able to grade it myself. Maybe he'll hold a little longer Bases are tough to display so who knows

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks. Maybe the shop owner will hold onto it for you. Hope things turnaround for you in the near future.

    In regards to your question... the only thing that came to mind was a 1976 Topps football set with a super clean Walter Payton rookie card. Unfortunately... it was a little too clean. It had been altered. Ended up getting a full refund, but I was pretty bummed about not adding that Payton to my collection.

    ReplyDelete