Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Some Inserts That I Actually Like

Usually, I'm not a fan of inserts. I often feel they are a gimmick, inserted into packs for no reason other than to make building a set more difficult. The common flagship set now has somewhere near 10 to 15 inserts each year. Isn't that a bit overboard?

However, there are inserts that occasionally catch my eye. I'm a big fan of the Fortune Teller inserts from 2017 Gypsy Queen, and I loved the Skippers insert from last year's Allen & Ginter. 

I don't know how, but I missed the 1969 Topps Super inserts from 2016 Topps Archives. When I saw the Cole Hamels card in that set, I knew that I had to snag it. 


There is just something about the simplicity that I love. It reminds me of oddball sets, in that it is simply a photo and a facsimile signature. Plain and pure.


The back is also bare bones. Nothing fancy, no Twitter handles or silly "facts" ("Cole likes video games!" Who cares???). Just a simple box with the player's name, team, and position. This is the base (or "blue back") version.


I also managed to snag the red back version, numbered to 50.

Sometimes, an insert speaks to me. Especially when it is this simplistic.

I hope you are having a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Curious... how many Skippers inserts were you ever able to acquire. That set has been an absolute pain in my rear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the concept of inserts, and a lot of them are really nice-looking and fun to collect, but you are absolutely right about Flagship having way too many inserts. Let's scale it back a little, Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a collector who went through the 90's... I feel like I'm obligated to love insert cards. But the past few years, I'm starting to shift my opinion on them. Like you mentioned... some insert sets are there to be there. I also think that they are way over produced and are flooding our hobby. If I had a say, I'd make them tougher to pull that way collectors felt like they got something special when they pulled one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as inserts go, less is more. You definitely picked a winner there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These inserts are great. So simple they stand out!

    ReplyDelete