Thursday, November 6, 2014

Luck, Be A Lady

In case you missed my tweet....



...and my sh*tty spelling, apparently, I was fortunate enough to get to meet Roger Staubach Tuesday morning. I was having lunch at Sevvy's in Dallas (If you live in the DFW area, do yourself a favor and eat there at least once. You won't regret it!). Sitting at the bar so I don't waste an entire table on just myself, I see him walk up and stand next to me.

He must have noticed the dumb look on my face because he chuckled and introduced himself. I shook his hand, introduced myself, and that was it. I didn't ask for an autograph because I didn't want to be "that guy." 

Now I know how AJ felt when passing his idol in the street. Staubach is one of my favorite Cowboys of all time, so it was very cool just to get to shake his hand.

How does all of this relate to cards? Well, chill out and I will tell you.

After meeting Roger, I was feeling kind of lucky. I decided to make a quick pit stop at Duane's on my way back to my office and grab some cards. I ended up with two Jumbo packs of Update and six packs of Heritage Minors. 

I decided to open the Heritage first. In the first pack, third card:


Nice! Only a base card, but it's a card I didn't have for the Jackson PC. And the very next card...


The black parallel numbered to 105! Unfortunately, I already bought this card off eBay (I mean, seriously: what are the odds of me pulling this card as a Jackson collector???) but who cares? I'll happily have two of them in there!

The remaining five packs yielded mostly nothing except two short prints, but no variations. I did pull another black border...


...and it has already been added to the Hits For Trade page. I don't know if I should really consider it a hit, but it fits there better than the base trade bait page.

Moving on to the Jumbo Update. Each Jumbo box promises two relics and an auto. Well, in the first pack, I pulled a manufactured relic:


The Sandy Koufax World Series ring relic. I'm not very fond of these. You can't just throw a piece of metal in a card and call it a "relic." It has never been used in a game by the player featured, so it doesn't count. Just another instance of Topps abusing their power, if you ask me. Anyway, this is also listed int he Hits For Trade section (adding more stuff for you, Dodger Penguin!)

The second pack yielded me this:


The Jacob deGrom Trajectory auto! This is one of the better autos features in the set! Now, I have no plans to keep it. Pitchers have a way of being good one year and not so good the next, so I have it listed on eBay right now. If it doesn't sell, I might consider trading it.

Last thing. I haven't said anything, really, about the unfortunate passing of Oscar Taveras. I'm not a Cardinals fan and I think it goes without saying that whenever someone that young passes, it's always terribly sad. 

However, I took a look at his Update card...and it really couldn't be more fitting:


I don't know if Topps will have anything in next year's sets for Taveras, but this is just a splendid card to be his (first and) final flagship card. 

Sometimes, cardboard is the perfect tribute.

4 comments:

  1. Great pick ups.
    I'd be all over that Koufax if I still collected those.
    Like you those irritated me but I got out of any type of relic cards a few months ago.
    Just autographs and black and blue parallels for me with a touch of photo variations.
    Love that Oscar card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hits all around.
    Would have loved to work something out for that DeGrom auto. Some type of trade cards an cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, great story!

    Solid pickups too. You definitely had a hot hand.

    ReplyDelete