Friday, February 12, 2016

The Second TTM of 2016 Is One of The Best In My Collection

A few weeks ago, I decided to change up my TTM style. Rather than a card, I decided to send out a couple 8x10 photos. Well, I received one back in the mail today:


This photo is of the trophy ceremony from the 1971 (British) Open Championship. You see the champion, Lee Trevino, hoisting his trophy.

Trevino has always been one of my favorite golfers. When I was younger, I had the privilege to meet Mr. Trevino, as my grandfather was playing in a foursome with him. (He's also one of my grandfather's favorite golfers)

The Merry Mex, as he is known, is quite the character. He likes to laugh and have a good time, so he is always joking around, both with other golfers and the fans in the gallery. As a matter of fact, he once cracked a joke that if he were caught in a storm while out in the course, he would hold a 1-iron to the sky because "not even God can hit a 1-iron." He was struck by lightning the next week. To add to the humor, he was struck two more times in his life, and has corrected himself saying "I deserved it...God can hit a 1-iron."

Trevino is also known for the Bandaid he would wear on his right forearm. The Bandaid didn't cover a wound; rather, it covered a tattoo of the name of his ex-wife. The tattoo has since been removed.

If I could change one thing about this photo, it would be the signature itself. I sent a blue Sharpie for him to use, but it appears he used the pen he had most readily available. However, I still love it - I'm not going to honestly complain when one of the greatest golfers of all time takes a moment to sign a photo for you.

4 comments:

  1. Cool TTM. Trevino is one of my father's favorite golfers. Might need to see if he has any certified autographs for his Father's Day present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice! I grew up in the era Trevino played in so he's up there with guys like Palmer and Nicholas.

    ReplyDelete