Friday, July 26, 2013

So I Broke Down....

...And bought a couple retail packs of 2013 Archives.  I've been weary of this set, if for no other reason than my OCD hates the four different card designs in the base set.  For whatever reason, the lack of a consistent design drives me nuts.  But, I've been dying to bust some packs, so I gave it a shot.

2013 Topps Archives Gallery of Heroes - Mariano Rivera
 The first insert card I pulled was this Gallery of Heroes Mariano Rivera.  I know quite a few people dig these things, but to me it feels/looks like a cheap gimmick card.  The only redeeming value is that it is of Rivera.  Regardless, it won't find a home in my permanent collection.

2013 Topps Archives Ryan Braun Tall Boy - MT-RB
The second insert I pulled was this Ryan Braun Tall Boy.  I don't know that this card is worth the paper it is printed on at the moment, and I have no personal interest in Braun, so this card is definitely up for trade.  The Tall Boy concept, however, might be one of the few, if not only, things I like about the set.  It's bigger than the standard mini (i.e. Gypsy Queen and A&G), the images and backgrounds are very clean...I like it.

I also bought three packs of 2013 Bowman in a quest to get one of my final few needed cards, but alas, I didn't get any of those.

The cards above are definitely available for trade.  I don't know if anyone has an interest in the Rivera card, but I doubt anyone will want the Braun.  Prove me wrong!

PS - I have some news about my 2013 Allen & Ginter box break coming later this afternoon.  Be on the lookout!

4 comments:

  1. You're not the only one. Lack of a consistent design is my biggest issue with Archives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of Archives either. My view is that its just Topps recycling old card designs instead of thinking up something new and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept just seems redundant when they put out Heritage and Archives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think an upcoming box break is an excellent way to get rid of some unwanted rivera cards :-)

    ReplyDelete