Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I Visited Mickey Mantle Today

I've been on the road a lot lately. As I've mentioned in the past, my job requires me to meet with land and mineral owners, but after moving up and becoming one of the "higher-ups," I've also been negotiating the sales and acquisition of oil and gas production. Today, that meant I was in North Dallas for a meeting.

When I was done, I realized that I was near the cemetery where Mickey Mantle was interred, Sparkman-Hillcrest Memorial Park. I decided to make a quick stop to pay my respects.


The Mick is interred in one of the mausoleums on the property along with his wife and two of his sons. They have they're own "nook", if you will.


I don't really know how to explain how it felt being there. On one hand, I felt that perhaps I had overstepped - I don't know how acceptable it is to visit someone's final resting place that you didn't know. I wasn't the only one there, though, so I suppose this is a fairly common occurrence.

On the other hand, it was neat to visit. Not everyone will have the opportunity to do so, and I consider myself fortunate enough to know about Mantle's contributions to the sport to appreciate the moment I had. So, there's that.

All in all, it was a memorable experience and I'm glad I did it. Tom Landry is buried in the sam cemetery, but I didn't have the time to find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment