Friday, September 6, 2013

You Learn Something New Everyday

Yesterday, before Geno Petralli showed up, my boss and I were talking baseball. One of his friends told him that the Chicago White Sox used to have Spring Training in our town (Mineral Wells, Texas) back in the early 1900's. With the excitement of meeting Petralli, I completely forgot this little nugget.

Today, my boss asked if I had a chance to look it up, which reminded me of our conversation. Thanks to Google, I was able to find that the Southsiders did, in fact, host Spring Training here in 1911 and then again from 1916 to 1919.

In 1919, the "Black Sox" scandal rocked baseball and the White Sox organization, as eight players allegedly "fixed" the World Series. I say allegedly because, even though the eight players were banned from baseball for life, they were acquitted in court.

On a related note, seven illegal gambling facilities were shut down in our town yesterday. Evidently, this town has that effect on people.

Why would they come to our town, you ask? Well, during that town, Mineral Wells was one of the premier resort towns in the country. People (presidents, movie stars and athletes among them) would come here to take mineral baths and rest.

If you want more of the story, you'll have to wait to find out. Why? Because I have to go do some research!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    It's Dion from Dion's IP Autographs I saw that you have a couple autographed cards on your trade bait list let me know what you for them and maybe we can swing a deal. I can email you a spreadsheet that has all my trade bait cards, 8x10's 3x5's & postcards there may be something of intrest. Let me know my email address is soskinfamily@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Dion

    Also on your team sets do need what is not lined out? lmk may be able to help with some of that too

    ReplyDelete