Monday, September 28, 2015

"Where To Go From Here" -OR- "Stuck In A Rut (Again)"

Nothing feels worse than apathy. And that, my friends, is pretty much exactly how I feel right now.

When it comes to cardboard, I've been snatching it up (for the second time) since about 2012. It started with me grabbing anything and everything I could get my hands on. So much had changed since the early 1990's (when I stopped collecting) that I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Then things started to slow. I lost interest. I had jumped in the deep end, flew too close to the sun - pick your phrase - in short, I just took on too much too fast. I had to step away for a bit to let the urge and desire to collect to wash over me again. And like a rising tide, it did.

Since then, I have refocused on a few things. I stopped trying to build every set that was released. Instead, I focused on flagship, Ginter and Heritage. I also decided to put more effort into my player collections. My Matt Harrison PC is still a thing of beauty (in my eyes), but we'll see how I feel when his first card in a Phillies uni is released. Besides that, most of the remaining cards are either pricey, MIA, or a combination of the two.

But other than that one, I haven't focused a lot on player collections. I started a Mitch Moreland PC, and though I haven't uploaded any scans, I do have quite a few cards. My interest in the Nick Martinez PC has waned. I don't think I have purchased a card for his PC in two or three months. Rusty Greer...neglected. Oh yeah, I also have a Martin Perez PC. Forgot about that one. In my list and in my collecting habits.

So here's the conundrum I'm facing. Current products are getting so expensive that set building is out of the question. And let's face it - nothing really jumps out and says "Collect Me!" anyway. Modern player collecting is fun, but again, the parallels and prices can get prohibitive. After all, I do have OCD, so missing cards (especially those damn 1/1's) drives me crazy. But I do want something that will allow me to collect for years to come, and something that has some meat to it, so to speak. Lastly, I want something that will facilitate more trades with other bloggers and readers. I haven't been doing much of that lately (and that is my fault).

With that being said, one of the people I most admire is the Junior Junkie. His dedication to collecting The Kid is amazing. I would be lying if I didn't say that I have looked at his list on more than one occasion as inspiration to keep going.

If I'm going to start talking about collections I admire, then I have to give some credit to "Mouschi," the most insane Jose Conseco collector around. Not only is he a supercollector, he also goes above and beyond in creating his own Conseco cards. His quest for everything Conseco landed him at Conseco's home for a private signing!!! That led to him sharing the cover of Beckett with Conseco and Joey Gallo. 

And those aren't only two. Daniel, proprietor of it's like having my own cardshop, has an amazing D-Backs bobblehead collection. William (the good man that inspired me to start blogging) has an AWESOME collection of Hall of Fame autographed baseballs. Fuji has awesome flea market finds. And I wish I could be half the writer that Night Owl is. 

I got off on a tangent, but what I was trying to say is simple. All of these gentlemen have amazing focus in their collecting and/or blogging efforts. I want more of that. Instead of having a bunch of player collections with a couple hundred cards each, I want something massive. Currently, Rusty Greer would be the largest (in terms of total cards), with slightly more than 800 total cards. My next thought is Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez. A quick Beckett search comes back with more than 8,000 cards. Ummmm....maybe that's too big. 

Anyway, at this point I am rambling. What do you think? Does anyone have any advice for me? I could definitely use it right about now.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know, but if you figure it out let me know. All I can really say is I miss blogging so much!!!! Time is my limiting factor. I miss writing down stupid stuff so a few people will read it. Good luck Judson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I collect Jalen Rose cards and determined I'd collect anything numbered 25 or above, with the only exception being when there is a card numbered below 25 that isn't a parallel (it happens on occasion with autographs or relics). That was my way of managing OCD. Under those rules - I don't have to worry about the 1/1's (and Printing Plates which in my opinion are fake 1/1's)!

    I used to do only #/50 and above, but changed about a year ago. It's been a bit expensive and challenging going back for the cards #'s between 25 and 49, but not too bad. I now have over 1,200 Jalen cards and counting, and am about 95% of my updated definition of complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. I am in a semi rut right now and I have posts in my blog que which averaged 90-110 so I was stacked for a couple months since I did one a day. I am now at 50 as I am also in the meh stage. I have refocused and am just going after a handful of Dodgers instead of every dodger which cuts down on all the parallels that I need to hunt down. Also the only parallels I am doing are black and blue unless it is of Corey Seager which is getting my attention.

    I also have stepped away from getting every "good" player in the game today in an autograph card form. Sold all those and now just hunting down HOF's and Dodgers. That also makes for less of a hunt.

    Guess your/mine/our wants and needs change as months/years go by and just like a baseball team they/we are never always "on" and there are valleys that we must navigate through to get back to peaks which I think you and I will get back to.

    Alot of it has to do with life outside of collecting which I am sure you can attest to but that is another story for another time. May both of us get out of this meh period soon.
    Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what lifetimetopps said about collecting rules. I have a few limitations which I have added to myself and they have made my collecting habits less stressful overall. Find something that makes you happy and stick to it. That's the best advice I can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said - that's what I was trying to say, but should have thought to put it in general terms. Key for me has to been to be sure those limitations I set up are reasonable.

      Delete
  5. Two player collections, one or two modern sets a year, and start working on a set from the 1960s (or the set from whatever your birth year is). I think that would keep you sufficiently motivated and fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll echo both lifetimetopps and p-town tom here -- creating defined rules as to what I'll chase has made me feel much more at ease with my collecting. It also helps to limit my purchases (for money reasons) and to focus my collecting.

    That said, if you want something massive, perhaps it's collecting every "major release" card for the Rangers. That's what I'm trying to do with the Brewers. Yeah, it sounds daunting, but going with the major releases -- and you can definite that how you like, whether it's "no serial numbers" to "anything numbered over 100" to "base sets only of major licensed companies" -- helps limit and define what you're looking for while at the same time giving you new pickups frequently.

    For what that's all worth...

    ReplyDelete